Monday 16 August 2021

Something Special Happened To Me Today

I was walking on the beach searching for shells. Shells are usually perceived as feminine; a symbol of birth, good fortune, and resurrection. We could all do with some good fortune. 

On the way down to the beach, I walked by a Scottish Thistle. It reminded me of my childhood in the country. We used to wait for them to dry and go a beautiful silver and we’d used them as chandeliers in our cubby house. It was a nice memory but nothing more that the time. 

I was walking along the waters edge trying to spy a nice shell specimen but it’s very hard to find perfect shells on an open coastline like ours. I’d walked some distance and couldn’t find anything that wasn’t broken. Then I was suddenly struck by an overwhelming feeling of loneliness. Lonely in the sense of missing those who have left, particularly Richard and of course my mum, dad, and sister. I felt very sad, very alone

However, I kept walking and then I realised in front of me was one beautiful shell after another. I picked up three. On the way back, I looked for a shady area to just rest and breathe in the salt air. I found a rocky spot at the edge of the sand near the bush and sat down. I looked to my side and to my amazement there on the rock was this beautiful, slightly weather-worn but almost perfect shell. I picked it up to add to the three I already had. 

I wasn’t far from the steps leading up to the walkway home and a beautiful black and white border collie raced up to me. I had noticed her sitting with her owner. He waved and I waved back. She reminded me of my childhood border collie, Lassie. I found out her name is Emmie. She is a beautiful dog, I could have easily stolen her. 

So what is the amazing bit? I believe when people leave us, they still keep an eye out for us. Particularly in those moments when we are feeling low. They show us they’re around in leaving signs. Two of the people most dear to me showed me today; my dad and my Richard. 

My dad always told us how amazing our chandeliers were. He also knew how special Lassie was to me. Richard knows I love shells and symbolism. You see we never truly walk alone despite how we feel at times. 

Just those three little things; a thistle, a shell and a dog can have so much meaning. They certainly did for me today.